I FOUND A PET... WHAT TO DO NEXT?
If you found a pet, do everything possible to locate its family. You do not have to give the pet to the authorities or to a shelter, but YOU MUST report it to both. Let them know, you have the pet.
- Check for a microchip. A veterinarian will do it for free. If the pet is chipped but you have trouble locating the information, give us a call.
- Report the found pet to your neighbors, as many as possible. Won’t be surprise if the found pet belongs to someone a few houses away.
- Report the found pet to all nearby veterinary clinics and pet stores.
- Use an online platform like ours (click here) to report it via email and via social media, use as many sites as possible, too much can’t hurt.
- Use Craigslist to report the found pet. This is key!
- Create a social media post and share it everywhere.
- WHEN THE OWNER IS LOCATED ask for proof of ownership. Several pictures; town registration, vet records, any information that can secure is the rightful owner. If you have doubts, contact us.
- If you can’t keep the pet, before bringing it to the shelter, please give us a call at 973-324-7925.
PLEASE AVOID THE FOLLOWING:
- KEEPING THE PET. Do everything first to locate its owner. Try for a few weeks. There are several reasons why a family takes too long in reporting a missing pet: traveling, landlord issues, family problems, etc.
- GIVING THE PET TO A FAMILY MEMBER. Unless the person will be actively looking for its family, is better for the pet to be nearby where was found, it could be one of your neighbor’s pet.
- GIVING THE PET BACK WITHOUT PROOF OF OWNERSHIP.
- JUDGING: If the pet does not look good, it could be missing for a while. Before placing a judgement, an investigation is needed to determine whether it is a case of neglection or a pet that has been missing for a long time.
- Posting too much information or unnecessary information on social media, you never know who is reading.
The seven-day holding period in New Jersey: not enough time to reunite missing pets with their families